Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The dreaded conversation

That's right, we talked about reenlistment. It's really the last thing either of us really want to do, but it's ultimately what we need to do for our family. We need to get rid of our debt before we get out and build our credit.

While our conversation wasn't pleasant, I needed to talk about it. I needed to get it all off of my chest. While I talk about it every once in a while, I have never gone in such depth about my feeling about it.

I think being so far away from each other and talking about it really helped. It forced us to talk out every issue about reenlistment. But of course with how long our conversation lasted, we didn't get into details... He said that he was going to look into everything before he goes into work today.

I hate that I had to say it, but it's part of the reason why I don't go to sleep at night. I'm worried about what we're going to do when he does get out, the amount of debt we'll have, we won't be able to have another kid for 6 or 7 years, we will only have one car... yada yada yada.

Unfortunately, I know that this is not what Alex had in mind. He did know that I've been stressing out about it. I told him to think about it, but he said that there's not much to think about. So then I asked him to think about what's best for our family. I believe that he did agree that it would be better for our family. I just hope this doesn't come to bite us in the butt. Either way we could get bit in the butt.

2 comments:

  1. David and I have been discussing the reenlistment possibilities lately as well. For months I tried to convince him to reenlist and he was COMPLETELY against it. Now that he's thought it out and talked it out with some of his buds, he's determined that maybe it will benefit us a lot more if he just stays in while we finish school and eventually start a family.

    It's a crappy thing to think about while they're deployed cause who knows what could happen :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Erika, I read this and immediately thought of my own situation.. We have been discussing this as well.. And we are decided that we need the Army too, sadly.. We are sticking with it for a few more years, and staying at Fort Drum too... So, we will be back next April (around then) to move back in :) You aren't alone... And the decision is not even remotely easy.. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete